Sunday, July 25, 2010

Eat Local. Eat Happy.

~karen hunter


With the current and intense presence of summer, and its heat and the necessary trips to the Nanaimo River to cool off, we have been granted so much fun food to share with you, and yet not quite the time to make that happen.

To get started, I decided to go ahead and have finger puppet fun with the fruits of summer. I say those fingers look pretty happy wearing all those big raspberry tuques. After I'd eaten off all those sweet pretties from each of my fingers (ok, I did this numerous times), I contemplated the thought of how summer and its food alter the frequency of my happy-go-lucky kid-like behaviours. It doesn't stop with raspberries! Is it perhaps the freshness and taste of such deliciousness that encourages this youthful energy? Plenty of folks are aware of the improved nutritive value of fresh (i.e. local) foods (see the following link for more information: http://chge.med.harvard.edu/programs/food/nutrition.html/ But what if they make us happier?


(psst... this cake made me happy too!)

With all that said, I'm hoping that you are inspired to make something nutritious, simple and perhaps silly with local foods, or rather to grow something yourself. It is not too late to plant for fall harvesting of peas, beans, spinach and other greens etc.














In the near future I will write to tell you of my current experiences with growing meat chickens at the farm where I live. We have yet to process the birds into an edible form and am a little uncertain of how to document all of that... It will be my first time ever butchering my own meat. I'm giving thanks to all my chickens well in advance!

Pictured above are ISA Brown hens which are our egg-laying birds. Our meat birds are basic, commercially bred broilers.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like so much fun!! While I was growing up, every year our whole family would have a reunion and butcher chickens at my grandparents farm. My grandparents raised the chickens and there was enough meat for each family to take home... it was a great memory but by the time I was old enough to participate in the butchering, the tradition had died. (the little kids pulled out the few stubborn feathers that didn't get taken off in the spinner and passed birds down the assembly line) I think its great what you're doing with local food and will be following your blog. :)

    P.S. I'm the same person that asked about the local wheat in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete